Learn English Phrasal Verbs with the Verb Get
Did you know that there are 69 different definitions for the verb ‘To Get’ in the English dictionary? Over half of these definitions are because of phrasal verbs composed of the verb GET plus a preposition.
Phrasal verbs can often be very confusing for English learners, because the use of the preposition can often change the meaning of the verb get in the sentence. So, you just have to learn these phrasal verbs as if they are a new vocabulary word.
- The form of the verb “get” is regular for the present simple.
- The continuous form is “getting”.
- The past of the verb is “got”
- And don’t forget the participle ‘gotten’.
Here are 32 different uses of the Phrasal Verb Get with sample sentences. And remember that often, each of these different phrasal verbs with Get can have various meanings.
30 Phrasal Verbs With The Verb Get
Here are 30 different phrasal verbs with the verb to get that I came up with. Make sure to add more if you think of other get phrasal verbs.
- Get about – the way you walk or go from one place to another
- Get across – make someone understand what you are want to say
- Get after – criticize someone for things you don’t like
- Get along – a harmonious relationship
- Get around – deal with a problem successfully
- Get at – suggest or imply something indirectly
- Get away – escape or leave to relax
- Get away with – escape undesirable consequences
- Get back – return to a place or seek revenge
- Get behind – fail to do something and later try to accomplish it
- Get by – accomplish something with great difficulty
- Get down – remove yourself from a higher place or relax in an unhibited way
- Get down to – give serious attention to an important matter
- Get in – enter a place or be elected to a position
- Get into – affect other people’s behavior and influence them
- Get off – escape punishment
- Get on – step or climb aboard; make progress in a specific way
- Get on with – harmonious relationship
- Get onto – begin a task or project; begin talking about a topic
- Get out – leave a location; secret information becoming public knowledge; express disbelief
- Get out of – find a way to escape responsibility
- Get over – recover from a sickness; overcome a difficulty
- Get rid of – throw something away or seek to be free of it
- Get taken – To be fooled
- Get through – experience a difficult situation; make contact with someone
- Get to – annoy someone through persistant action; deal with a problem at a later time
- Get together – gather a group of people
- Get up – arise
- Get used to – become familiar with something
- Get wound up become tense or anxious over a situation
Create your own sentences in the comments below to practice each of the Get Phrasal Verbs above. Especially any of them that you didn’t yet know.
Youtube Videos With About The Phrasal Verb Get
10 GET Phrasal Verbs: get down, get off, get through, get up, get away… English Lessons with Adam – Learn English [engVid]Phrasal Verb Get Playlist
How do you use GET in English as a phrasal verb? Go Natural English
The verb GET | Phrasal verbs with GET | English lesson Crown Academy of English
Phrasal verbs with “Get” Learn English with Papa Teach Me
5 Phrasal Verbs with GET – get up, get along, get ahead, get by… Learn English with Alex [engVid]
20 PHRASAL VERBS WITH
14 GET Phrasal Verbs: get across, get along, get around, get at, get away, get by, get down, get in, Top Ten English Expressions and Idioms
27 Phrasal Verbs with
Phrasal verb GET part 2, get away, get by, get on, get over, get through final by Antonia Romaker – English and Russian online
Phrasal Verb | Get | English Speaking Practice | ESL | EFL Mark Kulek
Learn GET PHRASAL VERBS : Top 10 Phrasal Verbs with Get – Love English with Leila & Sabrah
Brazilian Youtube Videos With About The Phrasal Verb Get In Portuguese
Os 20 verbos frasais com GET mais úteis do inglês (phrasal verbs) | Dica #24 SmallAdvantages
Phrasal Verbs com GET | English in Brazil English in Brazil by Carina Fragozo
More Sites & Resources With The Phrasal Verb To Get
147 Phrasal Verbs with GET: Get along, Get off, Get down, Get up… https://7esl.com/phrasal-verbs-with-get/
19 phrasal verbs with ‘get’ https://onlineteachersuk.com/phrasal-verbs-get/
Phrasal Verbs with Get https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/phrasal-verbs-with-get-0
Thank you for taking the time to learn about the phrasal verb Get. If you have questions or feedback, let us know in the comments below. And of course, let us know what other things you would like to learn in future English lessons.